Saturday, September 28, 2013

Thyroid health

Before I found out that I had PCOS, I had blood work drawn to test my thyroid.  Thyroid conditions run in my family and I thought that it could be the answer to some of my health concerns.

My thyroid test came back “normal.”  And I was left with no answers and no solutions, again. 

I have since learned that blood work from the standard Western Medical approach looks for disease states.  If you don’t have a disease, you are considered “normal.”  Further, every year, the normal range changes based on the blood work of everyone who was tested the previous year. 

This makes blood work inaccurate to measuring optimal and functional levels.  There are doctors (mainly natural doctors) who test for optimal or functional levels for blood work.  A lot of us simply are not aware of alternative options for our health, or we assume that it is “normal” to feel tired all the time or to age the way that we age in America. 

I am protesting that notion.  The notion that with aging, I will feel tired all the time, have joint pain, forget things, and generally feel like I am a mess.  I will not accept that because I know that there are real solutions to my health needs. 

Nutritional testing is a great way to find the imbalances in your body and the nutrients that are missing to help the body heal.  When I have clients come and visit, nutritional testing eliminates the guesswork and helps me to find the root to their imbalances.

For example, if I have a client come to see me about low energy, there are many reasons why their energy could be low.  They could be lacking B-vitamins, hydrochloric acid, or Molybdenum to help with detox.  Or they could have adrenal fatigue or symptoms of hypothyroidism.  In fact, all these things could be going on at the same time (and typically does). 

The body and a holistic approach can become very complicated.  Thyroid health and hypothyroidism have individual roots to dysfunction.  For example, if the gut does not have the proper balance of bad bacteria and good bacteria (gut flora) your body may struggle to convert T4 to T3 (useable form of thyroid hormone).  Also, if your liver is overburdened with too many toxins, your body may not be able to convert T4 to T3 in the liver as it normally would. 

If I would have known this when I was 16, I think that it would have made a big difference on how I approached the PCOS diagnosis and possible thyroid symptoms.  It wasn’t until I was 25 years old that I became aware of alternative health options.  And this is when my quest for optimal health began.

I am so thankful for all the people who have helped me along the way because it has not been an easy journey.  I remember spending hours in the kitchen, teaching myself how to cook for the first time.  I remember having to use a recipe for every single thing that I made (including eggs) because I did not know the difference between cinnamon and cayenne.  I also remember hearing snide comments or jokes about what I was eating  (not that I cared that much because what they were eating looked completely disgusting while my food was like gourmet). 

However, in the past few years, it has become so worth it.  Completely worth every dollar, every hour, and every frustration.  I finally have a cycle that would be considered “normal.”  I don’t have extreme levels of pain or PMS every time I have my cycle.  And this was the last part of my health journey to be resolved.

After starting my cycle in Africa, I learned that having a cycle was not always the most comfortable or amazing thing in the world.  I also learned how out of balance my hormones were after so many years of not having a normal cycle.

I began to take a supplement that contains Fibroblast Growth Factor.  Growth Factors are amazing because they act like a signal molecule to stimulate stem cells to heal and repair at the cellular level.  Health is built at the cellular level and you are as healthy as your cells are.  You can feed the good health of your cells through nutrients, oxygen, positive emotions and thought processes, minimizing toxins, etc….Or you can gain access to new dormant stem cells through growth factors.  (you can learn more about growth factors on my website:  http://www.yourgreenumbrella.com/antiaging.php)

Through the process of adding growth factors to my healing process, my health has dramatically improved in the last year.  I began to have an amazing healing response that my body began throughout taking growth factors.  I will talk more about this in the blogs to come.

I hope that it is helpful to hear someone else’s health journey to encourage you!  I want to help people have hope for their health because I know it is possible to heal and to feel well all the time!