Friday, September 20, 2013

Africa: The Answer


I arrived in Africa and ran out of my supplements quickly.  After the first 2 months, I wasn’t doing anything in the physical realm to support my healing. 

I was working @ an orphanage and a high school for at-risk youth.  I loved the work and it shifted and expanded my heart to want to help vulnerable youth and babies who had been abandoned. 

During my time in South Africa, I noticed an increasing amount of guilt and condemnation in my thinking and emotions.  I couldn’t pinpoint exactly what was going on but over time, the weight of guilt became heavier and heavier. 

I never felt like I was doing enough.  I saw the needs around me and it was overwhelming and beyond comprehension.  I did not know how the need was ever going to be met.  It felt like the black hole of never-ending need and vulnerability surrounding me continuously.  I felt completely helpless for the first time in my life.  The little that I could do every day seemed like a drop in the deep ocean of need in each child’s little broken life. 

I became very attached to a little toddler who had no father and a mother with HIV.  She also had HIV.  She was in the orphanage, sick, and with no family to intervene.  I felt such pain and hurt for her.  I spent a lot of time with this little baby.  But it never felt like enough. 

And at the high school, it would even be worse.  One of the older kids was a child solider and had came to South Africa for refuge from a war torn nation.  He had seen death and had even been forced to kill as a child soldier.  Another young man had grown up with no father and his mother was a prostitute in their home growing up.

I loved these kids so much.  I never felt so much love for anyone in my life.  But it never felt like enough.

One day, I did a Google search on the word “condemnation.”  Now, I am not the type to Google everything every day to find information.  I am cautious at best with Google search because I know that there are a lot of half-truths and blatant lies on the Internet.  But this time I felt the need to Google.

To my surprise, a Pastor by the name of Joseph Prince came up in my Google search of condemnation.  He explained in detail the Biblical stance of grace and freedom from condemnation.   

The biggest concept that spoke to me was the concept of the “gift of righteousness.”  I had never seen that term in the Bible before this day.  Biblically, the gift of righteousness is what Jesus gives a believer who turns to the Lord.  Jesus lived the perfect life that I cannot live.  Every mistake that I ever made can be redeemed and does not disqualify me from my calling.

This was revolutionary to me.  I had never understood grace.  Until this moment.  I realized that I was off the hook.  That God was actually not expecting me to solve the world’s problems.  I realized that I was actually not the answer to the well being of these children.    God was and it was already completed in Christ.

I realized that all of my life, I was trying so hard to fulfill a role that I felt I had to play.  I was in a constant state of performing for everyone and internally battling the feelings of not being enough and not doing enough.  Or worse, I was not going to fulfill my calling.

That day, I felt the weight of guilt and condemnation lift off of me and for the first time in my life, I felt free.  I felt free from not doing enough, not being enough, and not changing the world.  I finally felt like I was okay.   Jesus not only paid the price for my sins on the cross, He lived the perfect life that I could not live and fulfilled the righteous requirements of the law.  The law or commandments were the tutor to bring me to Christ.  It was Christ who had fulfilled every law and commandment that was set forth in the Bible.  It was my job to receive this gift and allow it to set me free from condemnation and not measuring up to my conscience or conviction of what is right and wrong.   

My whole life, my internal dialogue was about beating myself up for saying something the wrong way to someone.  Or, I should have done this instead of that.  Or, I can’t believe that I messed that up.  It was always an internal dialogue of not being enough, not accomplishing enough, and generally messing up every social and professional interaction that I have ever had. 

But in that moment, I felt so free. 

The next day, I went to work feeling light and happy.  Loving the kids was enough and was what I could do.   God would just have to do the rest.  That was a cool feeling.

After the first few hours of being at work, I had my cycle for the first time in 8 months.  It was also that first time I had my cycle without oral contraceptives, which increased my estrogen levels so that I could have a cycle. 

I was healed.  And the root was completely different than I had thought.  It was an emotional/spiritual root.  After that first period, I had my cycle every month, without any synthetic, or natural aid.

This was the first major shift in my endocrine health and in my health in general.  The fears of not being able to have children completely dissolved.  I knew that I was going to have awesome babies and easy pregnancies.

And having a cycle was the tip of the iceberg because the feelings of joy, peace, and freedom stayed.  I was free, more free than I ever thought possible. 

If you can believe it, there is more to my story.  I would say without reservation, however, that this was the pinnacle of my healing and the most profound shift in my life that affected my body, my soul, and my spirit in the deepest and most meaningful way.  Grace was real and I found grace in a person:  Jesus Christ.  I no longer had to live up to religious standards or rules, I had life and He filled me continuously with the life of God.  Forgiveness was a fountain that never stopped flowing in me and through me.  It was always available.